Tuesday, November 27, 2007

As You Like It: I Quoteth..

1) Orlando: "if killed, but one dead that is willing to be so: I shall do my friends no wrong, I have none to lament me,the world no injury, for in it I have nothing; only in the world I fill up a place, which may be better supplied when I have made it empty."

2) Rosalind: "Beauty provoketh thieves faster than gold."

3) Duke Sr.: "Sweet are the uses of adversity, which like the toad, ugly and venemous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head."

The above is used in reference to the toadstone or Batrachite. Toadstone is a mythical stone or gem, supposed to be found in, or produced by, a toad. It is supposed to be an antidote to poison.

4) Silvius: "O, thou didst then ne'er love so heartily! If thou remember'st not the slightest folly, That ever love did make thee run into, Thou hast not loved; Wearing thy hearer in thy mistress' praise, Thou has not loved; Or if thou hast not broke from company, Abruptly as my passion now makes me,Thous hast not loved."

5) Touchstone: "We that are true lovers run into strange capers; but as all is mortal in nature, so is all nature in love mortal in folly."

Note: 'mortal in folly' would mean excessively foolish. The word 'mortal' is used for 'excessive'.

No comments: